28 July, 2012

Berkeley Travelogue Part V: The Berk

I awoke early the next day, though as was my custom, I still woke latest. I embraced Weishan, so thrilled and touched to finally be reunited with her at long last. My heart fluttered, awe struck by her beauty. Sadly, she had a class to attend to that day, and my traveling companion Elisabeth was due to see her long missed relatives across the Bay in Frisco - and so I was left to the oh so miserable and not at all enjoyable company of my good friend Katie.

Katie made it a point to make me as familiar as a crippled Georgian can be made with the nearly vertical climes of the area surrounding the UC Berkeley campus. I remember distinctly my remark that the trip would be much better served by mounting rappelling ropes on the hills. I would much rather that than try to do the climb without them. It was on one particularly long hill that my love of the city was made concrete. I saw the Berkeley stadium, regarding it as a Dwemer ruin of some sort, as that is exactly how it appeared: a large, granite, art deco construct.

Traveling further up the hill, I had some overly-sensitive prat praising the culture of political correctness stuck behind me. I was just silently absorbing the details of his life I'd need to hunt him down later via his monologue to his no doubt lobotomized friend when we surmounted the hill. I immediately followed Katie off towards the campus, as I decided my first day in Berkeley would be a lousy day to acquire my first felony.

The Berkeley campus was truly a sight to behold. There were great redwood trees, incredible architecture of epic scale and scope, laboratories where brilliant minds pushed back the boundaries of human knowledge inch by enlightening inch. It was almost too much for me to take in, actually. It was all so surreal to see. I began seriously entertaining the thought of living there, a thought made all the more real as we entered a gelato shop and I proceeded to eat the best gelato of my life. And that was when we reunited with Weishan...

No comments:

Post a Comment